our sunday worship is as follows:
- Great Vespers: Normally every Saturday 4.30 pm [Please check first]
- Mattins:Every Sunday 9:45 am; occasionally instead, Hours at 10:15 am
- Holy Liturgy: Every Sunday 10:30am
Other Services are held on weekdays, especially on Great Feasts,
when there will normally be a Holy Liturgy at 9:30am. [Please check first]
We offer pastoral care for all Orthodox
Faithful in the area who care to be attached to us and to
worship with us.
- Confessions are heard after Great Vespers
on Saturday, or at any time on request.
- For Sick Calls, Churchings, Baptisms,
Marriages, Funerals, Memorial Services, etc, please contact
the Parish Priest.
pilgrims and visitors
We welcome to St Helen's Chapel:
- Orthodox or non-Orthodox Pilgrims to St Helen.
- Visitors who wish to see this historic church.
- Friends who wish to experience Orthodox worship.
- Interested folk who wish to hear about Orthodox teaching.
We also welcome parties of school children
- To learn of their local inheritance.
- To learn something of the life and Holy Faith of the Orthodox Church.
- Or for some combination of the above.
Teachers proposing a visit with a school group
should consult the Parish Priest to discuss what approach needs to be
followed. We have prepared schemes which may be used if desired.
finding the church
the church address is:
St Helen's Chapel
St Helen's Lane
Colchester CO1 1UB
to walk to the church:
- Maidenburgh Street is a small turning off the High Street.
- In the High Street look for the George Hotel.
- Buses drop you at the George Hotel
- The Chapel is a little way down the hill, some 200 metres down behind the George Hotel.
- Note: Those coming from the east side of the town, including Students
coming from the University campus, go to
the Bus Station; walk up the High Street to near the George Hotel; turn
right down Maidenburgh Street or George Street.
to drive to the church:
- Entering the town from the Chelmsford and London direction on the A12,
follow signs for the Town Centre until you are on the
Westway dual carriageway.
- When you reach the Middleborough Roundabout, do not go
up the Balkerne Hill dual carriageway.
- Instead, at the Middleborough Roundabout, take the
second exit marked Northgate (St Peter's Street).
- Cross the traffic lights at the bottom of the hill.
- Follow St Peter Street straight along to the Castle Park gates, and
continue up the hill, which is Maidenburgh Street.
- St Helen's Chapel is half-way up Maidenburgh Street.
- For evening services, and on Sunday mornings, turn
right into St Helen's Lane, and you
can park in Oyster Court, beyond the church on the left.
- Drivers are warned to take extreme
care in this ancient "Dutch Quarter" of
- Buses cannot reach the Chapel:
Private hire buses must go to the High Street, and let passengers off
at the bottom of
the High Street, at the small crescent around the War Memorial, which is
outside the Castle.